This blogpost is also available in German / auf Deutsch
One of the cheapest, fastest, easiest, and most protein rich vegan dishes I know? Vegan chilli! And somehow, it always turns out well and you can always prepare and season vegan chilli to your own taste!
Instead of minced meat, I use tofu, soy granulate, quorn or sunflower granulate and add extra beans and chickpeas in addition to the kidney beans! To flavor the vegan “minced meat” I use vegetable broth, soy sauce, miso and / or 1-2 drops of liquid smoke.
I also add corn, canned tomatoes, tomato paste, carrots, onions, garlic and spices every time. As I said, I always make the recipe with whatever ingredients that I just have at home. But here is one of the many possible recipes for vegan chilli:
- 1 can of kidney beans
- 1 can chickpeas or black beans
- 1 small can of corn
- 2 cans of cut tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 onion, cut into small pieces
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 bell pepper, cut into small pieces
- 1 small carrot, very small cut
- 60ml vegetable broth
- Spices (all optional, you can spice as you like): salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, chilli flakes, 1-2 tablespoons of precious yeast, bay leaf
- balsamic vinegar
- 1 pinch of sugar
- Vegan “minced meat” (see above) – around 1 cup
- Sautee the onion and carrot until the onion turns glassy
- Add the pepper and garlic and sauté briefly
- Add vegan minced meat (which I would prepare before according to the package instructions and fry separately in a pan, for example, with soy sauce and liquid smoke) and then put the canned tomatoes in the pan
- Let everything simmer for a little while, then add the vegetable broth, tomato paste, spices, sugar, beans and chickpeas
- The longer you cook the chilli, the better. The best is to cook it for a long time at low temperature. But 15-20 minutes should be enough. It always tastes best the next day, so it’s the perfect dish to prepare on Sunday and eat with pasta, rice and / or potatoes for the week 🙂 Right before I finish cooking it, I add the corn and add some balsamic vinegar to taste! Enjoy !!
I hope you enjoyed this Veganuary special week! Let me know, which recipes you enjoyed the most!